Senior Database EngineerMalaysia
Life at Grab
At Grab, every Grabber is guided by The Grab Way, which spells out our mission, how we believe we can achieve it, and our operating principles - the 4Hs: Heart, Hunger, Honour and Humility. These principles guide and help us make decisions as we work to create economic empowerment for the people of Southeast Asia.
Get to know the Team
How do we ensure database performance, availability and security in a hyper-growth environment? What are efficient ways/best practices to operate critical and large database systems? As Grab is expanding into a Superapp, we are constantly optimizing our processes and best practices for databases. We are expanding our database fleet with the addition of multiple open sources databases and tooling.
Get to know the Role
Database Reliability Engineers (DBRE) are responsible for keeping database systems that support all user-facing services and many other Grab production systems running smoothly 24/7/365. DBREs are a blend of database engineering and administration gearheads and software developers that apply sound engineering principles, operational discipline and mature software development and automation, specializing in databases (MySQL , PostgreSQL and MongoDB in particular). In that capacity, DBREs are peers to SREs and bring database expertise to the SRE and Infrastructure teams as well as our engineering teams.
The Day-to-Day Activities
- Work on database reliability and performance aspects for Grab as well as work on shipping solutions with the application teams.
- Analyze solutions and implement best practices for supported datastores(Primarily MySQL , PostgreSQL and MongoDB).
- Work on the observability of relevant database metrics and make sure we reach our database objectives.
- Work with peers(SREs, Application Engineers) to roll out changes to our production environment and help mitigate database-related production incidents.
- OnCall support on rotation with the team.
- Provide database expertise to engineering teams (for example through reviews of database migrations, queries and performance optimizations).
- Work on automation of database infrastructure and help engineering succeed by providing self-service tools.
- Plan the growth and manage the capacity of Grab's database infrastructure.
- Design, build and maintain database infrastructure that allows Grab to scale to assist hundreds of thousands of concurrent users.
- Support and debug database production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Make monitoring and alerting alert on symptoms and SLOs, and not on outages.
- Document every action so your learnings turn into repeatable actions and then into automation.
- Review, analyze and implement solutions regarding database administration (e.g., backups, performance tuning)
- Work with Terraform, Chef and other tools to build mature automation (automatic setup new replicas or testing and monitoring of backups).
- Design and develop specifications for future database requirements including enhancements, upgrades, and capacity planning; evaluate alternatives and make appropriate recommendations.
- Have at least 5 years of experience running MySQL/PostgreSQL databases in large Environments
- Have at least 1 year of experience with infrastructure automation (Ansible/Terraform)
- Awareness of cloud infrastructure (AWS/GCP) Have solid knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL
- Have Solid knowledge of the internals of MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Have an urge to collaborate and communicate Have an urge to document all the things so you don't need to learn the same thing twice.
- Have a proactive, go-for-it attitude. When you see something broken, you can't help but fix it. Know your way around Linux and the Unix Shell.
- Have a passion for stable and secure systems management practices. Possess data modeling and data structure design skills.
- Knowledge of caching (Redis / Elastcache)
- Knowledge of distributed databases (Cassandra/Couchbase)
- Knowledge on scripting languages (Python)
- Awareness about application orchestration
We are committed to building diverse teams and creating an inclusive workplace that enables all Grabbers to perform at their best, regardless of nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or sexual orientation and other attributes that make each Grabber unique.
Grab is an equal opportunity employer. We owe our success to the talents of our globally-diverse team and the varying perspectives they add to our thriving community.
Grab does not accept unsolicited resumes sent by recruiting agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our job postings, Grab employees or other parts of the business. Grab will not be liable to pay any fees to agencies for candidates hired as a result of unrequested resumes.